This article overviews cases that involve semi-trucks, highlighting:
- The most common causes of these accidents.
- The most common injuries people suffer from them.
- Factors for determining compensation.
What Are Some Of The Most Common Causes Of Semi-Truck Accidents Across Central Valley, California?
Like any other accident, the most common cause of accidents involving semi-trucks is the failure of the driver to pay proper attention while driving. Another common reason is that the driver may be driving too fast and unable to avoid a collision even if paying attention – massive semi-trucks require even more time to come to a stop than ordinary vehicles, so it can be impossible for them to avoid a collision in certain situations.
What Are Some Of The Most Common Injuries That People Involved In Accidents Involving Semi Trucks Suffer Across Central Valley?
Because of how heavy semi-trucks are and that most collisions occur with significantly lighter vehicles, common injuries in accidents involving semi-trucks are very severe. Some include:
- Brain injuries, such as traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- This is when the inside of the brain comes into contact with the skull, causing injury to the brain.
- TBI usually affects behavior, memory, and sometimes the ability to work. Physical injuries can develop as a result of it.
- Various soft tissue injuries that may bring complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) with them.
- This is when the immune system essentially attacks the part of the body that bore the brunt of an injury. The pain becomes out of proportion to the injury and event, sometimes even worse than the original injury.
- CRPS is a highly severe condition. The longer it goes undetected or without proper treatment, the more likely it is to become a permanent injury in and of itself. CRPS is a typical result of accidents involving semi-trucks because of the forces at play in the accident, the crushing injuries that cause trauma to a part of the body, and the body’s response.
- Sore back and neck.
Accidents involving semi-trucks often bring significant changes to the life of the person involved and their loved ones. The injured spouse cannot take care of themselves due to physical limitations or diminished mental capacities because of a brain injury. The spouse that was once productive and supported the family is forced to trade places with the other spouse, who now has to care for them essentially full-time. In these cases, you may be entitled to loss of consortium. This means you can receive compensation for losses associated with the following:
- Sexual relationship;
- Physical relationship;
- Emotional closeness;
- Support from the spouse before the accident and the value of the uninjured spouse’s household services before the injury.
Partnering with an auto accident lawyer will help you realize all you may be entitled to.
What Are Some Of The Factors That Play A Role In Determining The Amount And Type Of Compensation In My Fresno, California Trucking Accident Case?
Liability is the most significant factor determining the amount and type of compensation you may receive in a trucking accident case. You have to prove that the semi-truck driver was at fault. If this is not clearly established, you do not have a case at all.
The most critical factor other than liability is whether you received immediate and consistent treatment from qualified healthcare providers that address all of your injuries. This is another reason it is essential to seek out an experienced attorney. They have the ability to put you in contact with the right provider to get your injuries adequately addressed.
An experienced personal injury attorney who deals with catastrophic injuries caused by truck accidents will also be able to recognize common injuries. Additionally, they will likely identify issues that a self-representing person would not think to consider simply by never having experienced an accident like this before. Connecting you with the right doctor in the right amount of time weakens insurance companies’ ability to attack your case by claiming a gap in treatment or no causal connection between the accident and the plaintiff’s complaint in the lawsuit.
Consistent treatment with qualified healthcare providers will maximize your recovery. Once this happens, the attorney can do their job and hire the right experts to put together a life care plan or projections of future damages. This informs the jury and the other insurance company of the risk presented by the claim and the cost of making you whole again. It involves several experts that the average person will not know to hire to protect themselves and present the best case to the jury.
With the guidance of a skilled attorney for Auto Accidents Cases, you can have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that we’ll make it look easy.